I am delighted to announce my return to Ty Newydd, the writers’ centre of Wales, where I will be leading a Masterclass in Writing for Performance in June 2016…
The website has just gone live and you can read all about the residential courses offered here . Use coupon code TN2015 at checkout to get 10% off 2016 courses until end of January 2016:
Beginnings, Middles, and Ends: A Masterclass in Writing for Performance
Mon 06 Jun – Sat 11 Jun 2016
Tutor / Kaite O’Reilly
Course Fee / From £475 – £625 per person
Genres / DramaPerformance PoetryTheatreWriting for Live Performance
Language / English
Working with participants’ own work-in-progress as well as selected performance texts by established writers, this masterclass will explore:
- Dynamic openings and arresting starts. How to dive into the action of the moment, avoiding prevarication and ‘set-ups’;
- How to keep middles taut, engaging, and with driving action;
- Different kinds of conflict needed for effective drama, and how to map change in the beats, character development, and narrative;
- Different form and dramatic structures for live performance; and
- How to draw all to a satisfying close, avoiding the formulaic.
This intensive and practical course will give the participants opportunities to create new work as well as reconsider and revise existing work-in-progress.
The week will be intensely practical, with a selection of specially created exercises to explore new territory in on-going work, or to seed new work. Timed exercises will focus on developing the participant’s individual voice and vision. Practical group workshops will share emerging work, with one-to-one dramaturgical sessions to discuss participants’ projects.
In order to focus on the writers and support their writing, the course will run with only eight select participants. Successful participants will be asked to prepare for the week by reading several selected texts in advance.
To apply for the masterclass, please submit your initial ideas for new work or an outline of work in progress (max. 500 words) plus a paragraph outlining your goals for the week (max. 300 words).